TaRL Education Strategy Manager
Deadline: 31 January 2020
Start Date: ASAP
TaRL Africa seeks a TaRL Education Strategy Manager to support existing Teaching at the Right Level work in Nigeria and explore further TaRL opportunities in-country. The position will likely be based in Abuja with frequent trips to surrounding Northern Nigerian states.
About Teaching at the Right Level Africa
TaRL Africa is Africa is a new high-profile initiative jointly led by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s (MIT) Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) and the Indian Education NGO Pratham. TaRL Africa works to improve basic reading and arithmetic skills of children on the African continent and aims to reach 3 million children in the next five years. Key countries of operation include Kenya, Côte d’Ivoire, Nigeria and Zambia.
- Support ongoing implementation of TaRL in Northern Nigeria
- Coordinate partners
- Strengthen monitoring systems
- Work with TaRL Nigeria team to adjust and refine the programme in line with existing evidence and findings from monitoring data
- Ensure that helpful lessons about implementation design and pedagogical approach are collected, synthesized, utilized and communicated
- Help develop post-pilot strategy
- Provide programme management support
- Scope for new Teaching at the Right Level opportunities
- Maintain expertise in both J-PAL TaRL evidence as well as Pratham’s TaRL approach
- Identify policy priorities for Northern Nigerian states
- Assess TaRL feasibility and appropriateness
- Forge partnerships
- Catalyse and support new TaRL pilots where appropriate
- Track and manage policy budgets
- Fundraise as necessary to support new projects/programmes
- A Master’s Degree in Public Policy, Education, Management or Economics or another similar social science
- A minimum of four years of relevant work experience
- Advanced writing and oral presentation skills in English
- Demonstrated leadership and management experience, including hiring, training, and management of staff
- Experience organising, managing and presenting at events which discuss policy lessons
- Experience writing and managing budgets
- Proven ability to handle multiple diverse assignments at one time, successfully complete assigned tasks and meet deadlines while conducting high-quality work
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently and flexibly to support policy outreach, scoping research and training events.
- Experience doing policy work in a range of countries and in Nigeria is strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to identify new, high-value opportunities and mobilise both internal and external stakeholders towards working together on the given objective
- Experience leading policy outreach including strategically identifying and mobilizing appropriate policymakers, and developing and maintaining these relationships
- Experience fundraising and writing fundraising proposals
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation, particularly in supporting government data management systems
- Programme management experience.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are to submit the following by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference number NTL002:
- A CV (in Word or pdf format) and
- A cover letter demonstrating how your background makes you ideal for this role and the partnerships you feel will be beneficial given your knowledge of TaRL
Application Deadline: 31 January 2020. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply ASAP. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
TaRL Africa reserves the right not to appoint.