Maths Content and Training Associate: Nigeria
Application deadline: 16 June 2019
Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) Africa seeks a Maths Content and Training Associate to support the growth of TaRL in Nigeria. This role provides an excellent opportunity to improve the learning outcomes of primary school children in Nigeria and to be part of a leading evidence-based initiative tackling the learning crisis in Africa.
This is a full-time position that will likely be based in Kano and requires frequent travel within Nigeria, as well as flexibility to support policy outreach, scoping research and training events.
- Become an expert in TaRL instruction and support:
- Work with TaRL Africa team to develop a deep understanding of the TaRL approach and learn techniques for providing instructional support
- Practice the TaRL methodology in the classroom to build practical skillset.
- Support the development of TaRL content for Mathematics:
- Design and manage teaching and learning resources
- Track and document innovative teaching practices across the programme.
- Build the capacity of TaRL instructors and mentors:
- Support teachers and mentors to deliver effective maths instruction, including support with lesson planning and producing tailored teaching and learning resources
- Coach teachers and mentors on effective classroom practices
- Design, organise and support/lead TaRL training/workshops.
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelors degree in Mathematics, Mathematics Education, Education or a related field; a PGDE and/or Masters degree preferred
- A minimum of four years experience working within the education space
- Working knowledge of local curriculum, textbook analysis, instructional practices and assessment tools preferred
- Good command of written and spoken English.
- Experience working in Northern Nigeria
- Strong preference for Kano State resident
- Language skills: Hausa.
How to Apply
Please fill in this application form. The deadline for applications is 16 June 2019. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to complete a writing assessment, followed by an interview process. Due to the large volume of applications, we will only be able to respond to short-listed applicants.
About Teaching at the Right Level Africa
TaRL is an evidence-backed approach that helps children develop basic reading and mathematics skills, opening doors to a brighter future. Pioneered by Pratham, TaRL is based on several key elements at the classroom level:
- Using a simple tool, children are assessed on their ability to read and do arithmetic.
- Children are then grouped for instruction by ability, rather than by grade. For a dedicated time each day, the focus is on building foundational skills through activities and materials appropriate for each group.
- As children progress, they move to the next learning group and continue to grow.
A TaRL pilot programme was implemented in North East Nigeria from September 2018 to April 2019 by the Borno State government with support from UNICEF, Plan International, DFID and TaRL Africa. Using the lessons learned and materials developed through this pilot, TaRL Africa aims to provide technical assistance to other governments in North West Nigeria to catalyse the creation of sustainable government owned TaRL models which improve children’s learning.