Measurement and Monitoring Manager, TaRL Africa
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Reports to: Measurement and Monitoring Lead
Apply by: 11th April 2021
About the Role:
Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) Africa seeks a Measurement and Monitoring (M&M) Manager to manage all measurement, monitoring, and review activities for TaRL Africa.
Assessments, Mentoring, and Review are critical components of a TaRL program, and therefore the M&M manager will play a crucial role in strengthening TaRL programs in Africa by providing oversight to the country teams and partners on M&M strategy and helping them take data-driven decisions. S/he will be responsible for tracking the implementation and outcomes of TaRL Africa programs, and delivery against TaRL Africa’s overall strategy and work plan. S/he will also support the design and implementation of pilots to innovate on measurement/ mentoring components of TaRL programs.
This role provides a unique opportunity to improve the learning outcomes of children across Africa and to be part of a leading evidence-based initiative tackling the learning crisis in Africa. The role will be based in Nairobi with extensive international travel.
About Teaching at the Right Level Africa:
TaRL Africa is a new international initiative formed between education NGO Pratham and the Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL), who have been working together to develop cost-effective, scalable education programs for more than 15 years. These efforts have led to the development of an education program now called Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL).
TaRL is an educational approach that aims to build foundational skills in math and reading for children before leaving primary school. When TaRL is implemented within government systems, TaRL teams help ensure that everyone in the system remains focused on improving children’s learning outcomes. Simple assessments, onsite mentoring and support, as well as reviews at different levels of the school system, all contribute to the effectiveness of the program.
- Provide oversight to the country teams on program M&M strategy
Supporting the country teams to design an effective M&M strategy is crucial for creating strong localized TaRL programs that are embedded within the government systems. The M&M team works closely with the program and content teams to provide regular feedback from TaRL implementation. They also build their capacity to understand and use data for immediate course corrections.
- Develop strong understanding of governments’ existing M&M systems in TaRL Africa’s directly-supported countries
- Support the country M&M associates and partners in designing tools/ processes for data collection, verification, mentoring, and review, and in building the capacity of government officials on data use
- Support with data analysis and reporting as necessary
- Support tracking/ review of implementation and outcomes of TaRL programs, and delivery against TaRL Africa’s overall strategy and work plan
TaRL Africa works with many organizations and governments across Africa. The M&M team is responsible for coordinating with partners and internal teams to track measurement indicators across different programs and respond to data queries as needed.
- Support the Central Country Leads and M&M Lead in setting up program review processes
- Coordinate with partners and country teams to collect data on a central data system
- Support the M&M lead in ensuring that donors, partners, and senior management data queries are addressed in a timely and accurate manner
- Build technical capacity of country M&M associates
- Regularly assess the technical capacity of country M&M associates and conduct workshops on data analysis, visualization, and other technical aspects as necessary
- Support the design and implementation pilots to innovate on measurement/ mentoring components
Experimenting with new ideas to account for the contextual variations that we see across Africa is key to TaRL Africa’s work. The M&M team works closely in collaboration with the content and program teams to pilot innovative mentoring and data collection systems in the Learning Labs that we have established in a few countries.
- Support the design of innovative technology-based systems for mentoring and data collection and pilot them in the Learning Labs
- Support the Research and Learning activities related to measurement/ mentoring
- Support the other teams as necessary and assigned by the line manager
Education and Qualifications
- Demonstrated history of helping program stakeholders, both internal and external, take better decisions using data and storytelling.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English
- At least five years of relevant, full-time work experience
- Strong data analysis skills
- Experience working with data manipulation software, including data collection, analysis and visualization platforms (Required: Excel; Strongly preferred: STATA, Survey CTO/ ODK/ Kobo Collect, Tableau/ Power BI)
- Good understanding of M&E frameworks and systems
- Ability to think flexibly and analytically
- Experience working in the development or education sectors across Africa. Applicants from Consulting and analytics sector looking to switch to the social sector for creating impact are also welcome to apply.
- A Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Development Studies, Economics, Education or a related field
- Familiarity with national and regional learning assessments
- Familiarity with econometric and program evaluation techniques
- Basic proficiency in French
- Strong preference for Kenyan Nationals
How to Apply
Please fill in this application form by 4th April 2021. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to complete an assessment, followed by two interviews. Due to the large volume of applications, we will only be able to respond to short-listed applicants.