Chief Talent Officer
Deadline: 8 January 2020
Location: Kenya (strong preference) with significant travel across Sub-Saharan Africa
Job Overview: Manages recruitment function entirely, by collaborating with senior managers and providing expert counsel. Develops, implements, and maintains strategies that support recruitment including community outreach, developing brand awareness in countries of activity, the identification of qualified, diverse candidates, and relationship building with candidates.
About Teaching at the Right Level Africa
TaRL Africa is Africa is a new high-profile initiative jointly led by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s (MIT) Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) and the Indian Education NGO Pratham. TaRL Africa works to improve basic reading and arithmetic skills of children on the African continent and aims to reach 3 million children in the next five years. Key countries of operation include Kenya, Côte d’Ivoire, Nigeria and Zambia.
- Help TaRL Africa build its brand, clearly articulating our value proposition and the benefits of working with us.
- Set the strategy for how each role will get filled. You will partner with senior management to clearly define roles, craft job advertisements, post the job, identify qualified candidates, seek feedback, and make hiring recommendations.
- Interview candidates, identify amazing talent, work to determine the ideal candidate, and negotiate offers.
- Throughout the process, you communicate with candidates and provide an exceptional experience. You speak with passion about our organisational culture, you clearly outline expectations of the role and are transparent about the alignment of candidates’ skills
versus what is needed.
- Proactively communicate with senior managers, providing continuous updates on the roles they are seeking to fill.
- Identify process issues and make recommendations for improvement.
- Use sourcing tools and techniques to identify and attract candidates such as online social networking, traditional networking, other online searches, search firms and referrals.
- Develop and implement diversity outreach and recruitment strategies to increase the applicant pool and to develop a strong pipeline of candidates.
- Develop and oversee implementation of a structured performance management systems for all TaRL Africa staff across offices.
- Travel to different destinations in Africa as required to source excellent talent.
- Bachelor’s degree with 7 years’ experience in a high-volume recruiting environment.
- Experience with recruiting at all levels: experienced managers who can lead a country team, mid-level operational support staff and junior administrative/project coordinator staff. Relentless drive to find and connect with the best talent; disciplined strategy to source, engage and nurture prospective candidates.
- Proven experience in building and managing a diverse and talented candidate pipeline.
- Strong negotiation and communication skills in English and French (strongly preferred)
- Strong written skills and the ability to attract passive candidates through effective messaging
- Ability to learn and allocate time efficiently; handle multiple deliverables while concurrently managing competing priorities.
- Ability to work with enthusiasm in a challenging, fast-paced environment.
- Meaningful experience in Africa, ideally including Francophone Africa.
Market-related compensation, depending on years of experience.
How to Apply
To apply, please email your CV to [email protected]. Due to the large volume of applications, we will only be able to respond to short-listed applicants.
TaRL Africa reserves the right not to appoint.