TaRL Africa: Literacy & Maths Content Associate
Position Title: Literacy & Maths Content Associate
Reports to: State Team Lead
Location: Kebbi, Nigeria
Deadline: 11th November 2022
Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) Africa is a high-profile initiative originally developed by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s (MIT) Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) and the Indian Education NGO Pratham to promote evidence-informed education programming in Africa. TaRL Africa, now headquartered in Kenya, works to improve basic reading and arithmetic skills of children on the African continent through the TaRL approach. We aim to reach 3 million children in the next five years. Key countries of operation include Kenya, Cote d’Ivoire, Nigeria and Zambia where we work on contextualizing the TaRL approach.
Summary of the Role:
Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) Africa seeks a Literacy and Maths Content Associate to support the design and continual improvement of the literacy (local language and English) and maths components of TaRL interventions in Nigeria. The role will be focused initially on supporting content development and capacity-building exercises for TaRL activities in Kebbi state. The Literacy and Maths Content Associate will work as part of a small team who will work hand in hand with the Kebbi state government to improve learning outcomes in Nigeria. The role requires someone passionate about education, dedicated, flexible, solutions-oriented, and caring.
The position will be based in Kebbi with frequent travel within the state.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Become an expert in TaRL instruction and support
- Work with TaRL Africa team to develop a deep understanding of the TaRL approach and learn techniques for providing instructional support
- Practice the TaRL methodology in the classroom to build the practical skillset.
2. Support the development of instructional content for literacy and maths:
- Refine and continually improve teaching and learning resources and techniques through spending time in the classroom testing new materials and classroom techniques which respond to challenges identified through data and experience, as well as working with teachers and government officials to reflect on the content and remould as required
- Track and document innovative teaching practices across the project
- Support the alignment of the literacy and maths components to meet the programme objectives/outcomes and work plan.
3. Build the capacity of instructors and mentors:
- Work with appropriate government officials and TaRL Content Team colleagues to design, organise and support/lead training/workshops.
- Support teachers and mentors to deliver effective literacy and maths instruction, including support with lesson planning and producing tailored teaching and learning resources
- Provide quality assurance of training and mentoring of teachers and student teachers by Master Trainers and Teacher Trainer/Mentors.
4. In addition, the Content and Training Associate will be expected to:
- Support the TaRL State Manager in preparing technical and programme reports for the programme advisory board.
- Support the management of key relationships with stakeholders in state and national education systems, particularly the Kebbi State Ministry of Education, Kebbi State Universal Basic Education Board, and Local Government Education Authorities.
- Develop and maintain a strong relationship with the Central and Nigerian TaRL teams and collaboratively with programme team members.
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Teaching, or a related field; A PGDE and/or Master’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of (4) four years’ experience working within the education space.
- Working knowledge of local curriculum, textbook analysis, instructional practices, and assessment tools preferred.
- Good command of written and spoken English.
- Experience working in Northern Nigeria
- Strong preference for Kebbi State resident
- Language skills: Hausa
How to apply?
Please fill in APPLICATION by 11th November 2022. Only applications submitted through the form will be accepted. Please note that, due to the large volume of applications, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we will only respond to short-listed applicants.
TaRL Africa is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce.