Measurement and Monitoring Manager, TaRL Africa
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Reports to: Country Manager
Apply by: 19th July 2021
About the Role:
Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) Africa seeks a Measurement and Monitoring (M&M) Manager to manage all measurement, monitoring, and review activities for TaRL Africa – Nigeria programmes.
Assessments, mentoring, and review are critical components of a TaRL programme, therefore the M&M manager is key to strengthening the TaRL programmes in Nigeria by providing oversight to the country measurement and monitoring team. The Manager will be responsible for M&M strategies that guide programme teams to make data-driven decisions. S/he will also be responsible for tracking the implementation and outcomes of TaRL Nigeria programmes across all states. The role is expected to work closely with the Central M&M team to support the delivery of the TaRL Africa’s overall strategy and work plan. S/he will also support the design and implementation of pilots and scale-up programmes through innovations on measurement/ mentoring components across the various states.
This role will also involve close work and coordination with partner organisations’ monitoring and evaluation teams, including provision of technical support as may be necessary. The holders’ leadership ability is expected to contribute to improvement of learning outcomes of children in Nigeria. The role will be based in Abuja with extensive travel across several states.
About Teaching at the Right Level Africa:
TaRL Africa is a new international initiative formed between education NGO Pratham and the Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL), who have been working together to develop cost-effective, scalable education programs for more than 15 years. These efforts have led to the development of an education program now called Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL).
TaRL is an educational approach that aims to build foundational skills in math and reading for children before leaving primary school. When TaRL is implemented within government systems, TaRL teams help ensure that everyone in the system remains focused on improving children’s learning outcomes. Simple assessments, onsite mentoring and support, as well as reviews at different levels of the school system, all contribute to the effectiveness of the program.
1.Oversee design and implementation of M&M strategies across with a range of partners and state teams in Nigeria.
- Ensure that M&M systems and structures are well functioning and enable rapid course correction across partners and programmes.
- Ensure a close coordination between the M&M team, the programme and content teams to provide regular feedback from TaRL implementation.
- Support the country M&M Associates and partners to design tools, processes for data collection, verification, mentoring, and review.
- Support the country team to effectively implement M&M strategy to help realize strong localized TaRL programmes that are embedded within the State Government education system.
- Support tracking/ review of implementation and outcomes of TaRL Nigeria programmes and delivery against the various project monitoring frameworks.
TaRL Africa works with partners and various State Governments through their SUBEBs. The M&M Manager will be responsible for coordinating with partners and the internal team to track measurement indicators across different programmes and respond to data queries as needed.
- Coordinate with partners and internal teams to collect data, analyse and share with the central M&M team.
- Ensure that appropriate and accurate data is available for donor reporting, fundraising, proposal development processes, and that management data queries are addressed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Support data analysis and reporting where required.
- Build technical capacity of the Country M&M team and partners
- Regularly assess the technical capacity of country M&M associate(s) and conduct workshops/meetings on data analysis, visualization, and other technical aspects as necessary
- Build the team’s capacity to understand and use data for immediate course corrections.
- Support government officials better understand and use TaRL data.
4. Analyse monitoring and measurement data and use it support programme review and identify areas requiring innovation/improvement
- Analyse data from various programme to identify areas of strength and weakness and reflect on how the programme can be improved.
- Set up programme review processes.
- Support the Research and Learning activities related to measurement/ mentoring
- Work closely in collaboration with the content and program teams to pilot innovative mentoring and data collection systems.
Education and other Qualifications
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English
- At least 5 years of relevant, full-time work and hands-on experience in Measurement and Monitoring.
- Strong data analysis skills
- Experience working with data manipulation software, including data collection, analysis and visualization platforms (Required: Excel; Strongly preferred: STATA, Survey CTO/ ODK/ Kobo Collect, Tableau/ Power BI)
- Good understanding of M&E frameworks and systems
- Ability to think flexibly and analytically.
- Great presentation skills
- Experience working in the development or education sectors across Africa
- A Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Development Studies, Economics, Education or a related field
- Familiarity with Nigerian Federal government learning assessments
- Familiarity with econometric and program evaluation techniques
How to Apply
Please fill in this application form by 19th July 2021. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to complete an assessment, followed by two interviews. Due to the large volume of applications, we will only be able to respond to short-listed applicants.